Postnatal yoga: exercise after childbirth
Looking for postnatal yoga in Groningen? These lessons are for you, new mom! After nine months of changes in your body, the birth is over and you can start recovering. Postnatal yoga, or postpartum yoga, is a gentle way to bring you back into physical and mental balance after giving birth. You can also participate if you have never done yoga before.
What is postnatal yoga or postpartum yoga?
Postnatal yoga is a form of yoga that specifically focuses on the postpartum body. Postnatal yoga is therefore the same as postpartum yoga. We do yoga postures, breathing techniques and relaxation exercises with the aim of recovering your body. For example, we work on the recovery of your core (abdominal muscles) and pelvic floor. It is also nice to connect with other mothers and share experiences.
When can I start yoga after giving birth?
- Online course: Depending on how well you feel, you can start 1 week after giving birth. If in doubt, consult your midwife. Read more >>
- Studio lessons: You can start from 6 weeks after giving birth. These classes are a bit more active and focus on recovering your core and strengthening your upper back. In this way we work on a healthy posture; In your daily life with the baby, your body has to endure a lot during feeding, rocking, carrying, changing, and so on. After the lesson there is time to exchange experiences and drink tea.
Can my baby come to class?
The postnatal studio classes are a moment for you, without a baby. Would you rather come to the studio with your baby and have more time to exchange experiences with other mothers? Then take the Mama-Baby Yoga course>>. You can of course follow the online course with your child.
Benefits of postnatal yoga after pregnancy
- Body recovery: Postnatal yoga helps you strengthen your muscles, joints and pelvic area and get back into shape. The gentle postures and movements promote blood circulation and support the recovery process.
- Reduce Stress and Fatigue: Taking care of a newborn baby is tiring. The meditations and breathing techniques help you to relax and unwind. Postnatal yoga is a time of relaxation and self-care, which will help reduce your stress levels and hopefully give you some recharge.
- Emotional balance: Childbirth is – to say the least – quite a challenge. By engaging with your own body again, moving, relaxing and breathing, you reconnect with yourself. This can help you to accept your emotions and thus become more balanced.
Postnatal Yoga for Beginners
Even if you have never done yoga before, you can start after giving birth; Our classes are suitable for beginners and experienced yogis. Always let your teacher know if it is your first time. We ensure that the postures are accessible to every body, by providing different options and using props (such as blankets, blocks and pillows).
What others say about Open Yoga Groningen
“For me, the online classes are time for myself, just like the classes in the studio. Especially during the lockdown, I think it's a really great solution!”
“Very enjoyable yoga school in a beautiful central location in the city of Groningen. Very friendly people and a good range of classes including very nice hot yoga classes. I also really enjoyed taking the mommy-baby yoga classes. Highly recommended!"
“Open Yoga gives me flexibility in my body, which makes me feel strong in my daily activities, including mentally. In contact with others, I learn to listen carefully to my body in an open, safe, respectful atmosphere.”
“The lessons are varied and the range is wide. As a result, there is always a lesson that meets my needs and when I have time and space.”
“The nicest yoga school in Groningen.
I really enjoyed the training and the lessons. What fantastic teachers you have. After moving to Sneek, unfortunately I can no longer take lessons in the studio,
BUT luckily still online.”
“I went yesterday and today for a double session given by Max Strom. Both Open Yoga and Max Strom locations are highly recommended!
Everything neat and clean, friendly people, both staff and students and of course Max. I came a long way but it was definitely worth it!”
“More or less strenuous, with clear instructions. Options are also given so that you can adjust the postures to your own needs and to your own body.”
“I would like to let you know that I find the lessons pleasant, practical, light-hearted, educational and very effective. Fits me exactly. I find it pleasant to give a brief explanation and mention the purpose of the exercise. I'm already looking forward to the next lesson.”
“A casual atmosphere and top teachers. And it has been that way for years. Open yoga has unnoticed become a focus point during the week to find yourself and stay true to yourself.”
“What a nice lesson! Thank you. It's especially great to see that you enjoy it so much when you laugh at yourself or do something difficult. Keep up the good work! Gives super nice energy.”